Friday, September 18, 2009

Bedford

We drove up to Bedford on Wednesday to visit Shirley and Jack. They came to the hotel and treated us to dinner which was very nice of them. Afterwards we all drove the short distance to Lynda and Pete's place where we spent quite some time chatting.

Thursday we all met up at Bletchley Park - the site of the code breakers in WWII. There were a lot of us as David was over for a visit too. I think we all found it very interesting - we spent to entire day there and did not see everything.
The manor - a bit of a mish-mash of architectural styles!
We saw the first ever digital computer - Colossus - which was operational in 1944. It was top secret, dedicated to code breaking and never revealed until the '70s so it has never been acknowledged as the first. ENIAC, operational in 1946 has that honour.
Before leaving the grounds we took family group photos - above the paparazzi are hard at it.
Everyone except me - someone has to take the photo.
It is not often these four get together like this so the happy moment had to be recorded.

We had a lovely day with everyone. Afterwards we returned to the flat and Shirley and Jack again treated us to dinner - pizza's this time. Very nice - thanks Shirley and Jack, for a great time.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Love watching your travels Heidi.

Unknown said...

Hello Heidi ... surprise! I accidentally came across an old email of yours which had a link to this site ... you are a wonderful correspondent ... such detail while you are on your trip ... I fear I wouldn't be that up to date! When you get home, I would like to ask you if any of the people in the photos are related to me. Keep having a lovely time. Regards, Sandie Bryant.