Friday, March 23, 2018

Fiji

Blog #6
Thursday 22nd March
Moored at Lautoka, in Fiji when we awoke.  Our excursion today was best of Nadi and it was pretty good. The guides we had were very informative and entertaining . This countryside around the town of Nadi looked very pleasant. After a view point across the bay we stopped at a marina for fruit and a demo on the many uses of the coconut tree. 

Before returning to the ship we stopped at a market which was really a sort of department store. 

 Next day we had a second stop in Fiji at a lovely little island, Dravuni. It was just a day at the beach, no shops to speak off other than a few stalls and anything the local people had to offer - massage, boat trips, handicrafts.

I waited until the rush for tenders was over and went to have a look - Robin stayed on board. The beach was nice sand, with shells and I saw quite a few tiny crabs scuttling about. The village primary school was open, and I could hear the kids singing ‘When the saints go marching in’.  To me as an outsider, the life on the seemed quite  ideal - no apparent pressure, no modern trappings as such but would one get tired of that?

As I walked along taking photos I saw a really black cloud appearing so I returned to the ship - just in time as it rained quite steadily. 

The rained continued intermittently and was with us as we left around 5 pm to go back through the reef. Tomorrow is an at sea day, then next day we stop off for another beach stop, in New Caledonia this time.  





No comments: