
Whenever we came by the
Melbourne Cemetery, Kate and I often remarked that we should stop off and have a look. Today we went into the city to do just that. It is
situated at the top of the city and is fairly high so we could look across at the tall buildings from the entrance.

The cemetery is divided into areas for Catholics, Church of England, etc. The
earliest grave we found was dated 1860. The cemetery was only opened in 1853, so we figured we did quite well in the hour or so we were there. Some of the graves were really, really simple, like the one below.

Others were very ornate, again, like the one below. I really prefer the simple cross, I think.
2 comments:
I LOVE old cemetaries! When ever I see one I have to stop. In Utah the oldest we have is about the same time, late 1800's. Heather and I were talking yesterday about he we in America are kind of pathetic with our old stuff. When I went back east anything I saw that was old was in the 1700's. I guess Australia is kind of the same Ü
WOW! I'm with Amy, LOVE old cemetaries!! The Melbourne one looks fabulous, so much character. That's what I love about England too, all the old cemetaries, I love to wander through them as well :) Thanks for sharing the pictures!
Post a Comment