On Monday, Gerard and Michele took us to Aven d'Orgnac, in the Ardeche. Driving through the Ardeche is spectacular in itself but the cave was really awe inspiring too. It is enormous and is very well set up for visitors. There are about 700 steps down through the cave, with a lift to whisk tourists back to the top - lucky for me as I would still be trying to crawl back up now.
I have never been so close to so many stalagmite filling the cave. There were some stalactites but not that many, as the water apparently drips down to fast for them to form. It was very dark in the cave, but the formations were lit as the guide spoke about them. The photos I took with my compact are not great but the formations can be seen.
Not good photos, by take my word for it, they are very large. One interesting thing was the almost cylindrical formations - I have never seen such formations before.
Returning home, Gerard drove us the pretty way, Ardeche itself so the views of the river and the gorges were incredible. A fantastic day.






No comments:
Post a Comment